QUESTION TEXT: It is well known that many species adapt to their…
QUESTION TYPE: Main Point
CONCLUSION: This characteristic [altering the environment in ways that help a species to survive] is actually quite common. It is not just the most highly evolved species that do this.
REASONING: Plankton is given as an example. Plankton release a gas that causes clouds. The clouds reflect heat and cool the earth. A cool earth benefits the plankton.
ANALYSIS: The main point is that many species adapt the environment to benefit themselves. It is not only highly evolved species.
Plankton were only mentioned to illustrate this phenomenon. The stimulus is about many species and not just plankton.
- This is true but it isn’t the main point. Plankton were just an example.
- This plays on outside assumptions that a cooler earth is better. But the main point is that the species benefit themselves. Also, the stimulus is about many species: plankton are just an example.
- CORRECT. Many species can do this (such as Plankton.)
- We know plankton influence cloud cover but they might not be the most important factor. Besides, the stimulus is making a broader point about species changing their environment.
- The plankton benefited themselves. That’s all we know. We don’t know if they benefited other species, the earth, etc.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions