DISCUSSION: The main purpose of the passage is to discuss Vernon’s work. The main focus of Vernon’s work is to explain why African Americans grew rice, both before and after the end of slavery.
The first paragraph is just a hook. It provides context for the importance of Vernon’s research, and tells us that Vernon is dispelling myths.
- We don’t need any more evidence, we already know African Americans grew rice. The question is: why?
- We’re not told much about the historical background: i.e. The history of rice cultivation by Africans, or exactly how rice was brought to America, or how it first began to be grown, etc.
- CORRECT. The passage is simply telling us Vernon’s theories about why African Americans grew rice.
- The first sentence criticizes historians, but not because they had misunderstood rice growing. It was a more general point: historians ignored the contributions slaves made, apart from physical work.
The paragraph provided context, that shows how important Vernon’s work is. Vernon examines the contributions slaves made to America.
- We’re not told what effects rice growing had on the broader economy.
Need help with RC? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Solve hard passages quickly