DISCUSSION: The pre-contact Native Americans had a communal identity. Individuals were related to their tribe, their land, and the universe. (lines 15-19)
- This is individualistic. A communal culture might instead change someone’s name when they join a new community.
- CORRECT. Lines 18 said that individuals were linked to the cosmos; a picture of a constellation fits with that. And this artifact is similar to those mentioned in the third paragraph.
- This doesn’t tell us if the new names are communal or individual. Different communities within Western culture have similar rituals too.
- This is individualistic. Each person is clearly identified.
- So? That may just mean they’ve lost track of the origins of the shield. This could be true of a shield in any society.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions