QUESTION TEXT: In his new book on his complex…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Reasoning
CONCLUSION: Professionals don’t have to pay attention to R’s book.
REASONING: R is a jerk. He also calls people names.
ANALYSIS: This argument is nothing but an ad hominem attack. It doesn’t address whether any of the information in R’s book has value.
Ironically, the argument mostly accuses R of making ad hominem attacks.
- CORRECT. The whole stimulus is just a character attack against R. But the author hasn’t shown that R is in any way scientifically incompetent.
- This is a problem with R’s book, not R. The author’s doesn’t say whether R himself had funding.
- The stimulus doesn’t even mention a scientific theory.
- It’s quite possible for a reviewer to verify what R actually said about other scientists. It also shouldn’t be hard to find out if R is arrogant or nasty.
- This is a different error. The stimulus implied that R’s work wasn’t worthy of merit because his findings about bias likely weren’t true.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions