QUESTION TEXT: A person is more likely to become…
QUESTION TYPE: Weaken
ARGUMENT: The older a person, the more likely they are to be disabled. In East Wendell fewer old people get disability benefits compared to younger people. The explanation is that the percentage of jobs offering a disability benefit has increased recently.
ANALYSIS: There isn’t really any reasoning given in favor of the solution. On these sorts of questions we simply have to look for an alternate explanation to explain the facts.
- This is sort of vague. How long ago did this improvement start? How big is the impact: are the people still disabled? Does it change overall population disability rates? Without more precise info we can’t use this to weaken or strengthen the argument. It’s useless.
- This is also very vague. Some could be 1-3% of people. We need detail to weaken an argument.
- Great! When did this happen? How much longer do we live? Does it affect disability rates? This doesn’t let us do anything.
- This tells us how much money people get. We’re interested in the percentage of people receiving money.
- CORRECT. This is a strong alternate explanation. Most disability plans simply stop at age 65. That explains why fewer people in the older age groups have disability plans.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions