QUESTION TEXT: A patient complained of feeling constantly fatigued….
QUESTION TYPE: Paradox
FACTS: A tired patient only slept 4-6 hours. This worsened their exhaustion, but doctors did not tell them to sleep more.
ANALYSIS: We can be pretty sure that the patient should sleep more. So we must explain the doctors’ advice.
The correct answer tells us that telling the patient to sleep might cause them to sleep less.
- The patient doesn’t really care about awakening: they feel tired and want to sleep.
- But the other hours are still important: that’s why the patient’s low total sleep was contributing to their fatigue.
- That’s good for them. But this particular patient needs more sleep.
- We have no idea whether this patient has nightmares. And the last hour of sleep wasn’t mentioned. This is completely irrelevant.
- CORRECT. If you tell the patient to sleep more, then maybe they will worry and sleep less.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions