DISCUSSION: The main idea is in paragraphs 2 and 3. The memoirs can be reliable, if we cross-check them against other accounts, and make sure they are internally consistent.
- The passage doesn’t say why only 80 memoirs out of 1000 were written by women. Maybe there was intolerance, but maybe there was another reason why few women wrote memoirs.
- The passage goes beyond this. Lines 23-25 show that we can check the biographies against other accounts and confirm whether they are objectively accurate.
- CORRECT. This covers paragraphs 2-3, and they are the heart of the passage. The first paragraph merely gives some context; the theme of the biographers being upper class wasn’t developed. So it doesn’t matter that this answer doesn’t mention the first paragraph.
- This contradicts the second paragraph. Lines 23-25 show that we can corroborate the biographies with other evidence to show whether they are accurate.
- The women’s movement was mentioned in lines 58-59, but we’re not told why it occurred and whether it had anything to do with the subjects discussed in the biographies.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions