QUESTION TEXT: Some teachers claim that students would not…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Reasoning
CONCLUSION: Grades aren’t necessary for teaching purposes.
REASONING: The best students won’t be motivated by grades and neither will the worst students.
ANALYSIS: The argument didn’t mention those students in the middle: the ones who have some motivation but who might need the incentive of grades to do their best.
- The argument didn’t even mention a fixed body of material. Read carefully.
- The argument mentioned that bad students aren’t interested in grades or study materials.
- This doesn’t matter: the conclusion was only about an academic purpose.
- This doesn’t tell us if the worst students would respond to grades. Once they were “quite interested” in the material they might become like the best students.
- CORRECT. There is usually a middle ground of students who have some self-motivation but who aren’t completely self motivated.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions