QUESTION TYPE: Must be False
1. European music is popular because the music could be successful outside of its original context.
ANALYSIS: This question depends entirely on nuances of phrasing. Check the stimulus carefully before choosing an answer choice on this type of question. All of the wrong answer choices can be justified by a specific phrase or word in the stimulus.
- This could be true. The stimulus only said that European music has had a strong influence. It isn’t necessarily the most influential music worldwide.
- This could be true. The stimulus is just giving one reason why European music has been influential.
- This is true of European music and it could be true of Chinese music as well. The stimulus didn’t say European music was unique in this respect.
- CORRECT. The stimulus says that European music is a sophisticated achievement because it is still intelligible even when it is independent of its original function. This answer choice contradicts that idea by saying that music is even more sophisticated when it isn’t intelligible.
- This could be true. It’s one of the reasons European music stands out: it doesn’t lose its appeal.
Need help with LR? → Sign up hereTry the LSAT Hacks Course
Graeme teaches how to break down arguments, quickly