DISCUSSION: Lines 33-35 are key. They say that if people don’t like something, they will call it “voluntary” and oppose public spending to improve public safety for that activity.
Thus people call skydiving voluntary, and call firefighting involuntary, even though both involve a choice (lines 35-42).
- Space travel isn’t mentioned in the passage.
- Lines 33-42 indicate that people would call skydiving voluntary in order to avoid spending money to make it safer.
- I was tempted by this, because people support spending money on firefighters. But line 42 clearly says that firefighting is voluntary. The point of mentioning firefighters was to illustrate that people don’t care about voluntariness in a consistent way.
- CORRECT. Lines 25-27 say this directly.
- Mountain climbing isn’t mentioned in the passage.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions