QUESTION TEXT: Which one of the following most accurately and…
DISCUSSION: As far as I know, this question introduces a new question type. Instead of asking for the main point, it asks you to “summarize the passage”.
However in practice I approached this exactly like a main point question. The criteria are identical. You’re looking for something that is:
- True, and
- A summary of the whole passage
A only summarizes one paragraph. B and D jumble together ideas from the passage to form nonsense answers. E says something almost right, but uses the wrong word. It also is not as good a summary as C is.
- This is only Weiner’s argument. So this only covers paragraph 2.
- Nonsense. Colonial gaze was only mentioned to give context. And colonial gaze is something that Westerners do when they observe and document indigenous cultures. That hasn’t been eliminated. The difference is that now indigenous cultures can observe and document themselves as well.
- CORRECT. This covers all paragraphs well. Paragraphs 2 and 3 show the division. The final paragraph supports the view in paragraph 3.
- This doesn’t match. It contains some elements present in the passage, but a passage that matched this answer would have a totally different structure.
Example of passage that matches:
Smith shows that video has helped cultures document their traditions.
Jacobs shows that video helps indigenous people pass on their culture to the next generation.
However, this video usage is a new phenomenon. We don’t know what the effects will be over the next 50-100 years.
- This is too strong. The Kayapo example doesn’t “validate” Ginsburg. Validate means to prove completely correct. The Kayapo merely supports Ginsburg. We don’t have enough evidence to make a definitive judgment. See line 47, it merely says “lends credence”.
Need help with RC? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Solve hard passages quickly