QUESTION TEXT: It is widely believed that the most…
QUESTION TYPE: Role in Argument
CONCLUSION: Sometimes it’s better for the environment to buy food from far away.
REASONING: Transport only has a tiny environmental impact. And in some far away places, we can produce certain foods with much less environmental impact.
ANALYSIS: The question asks about the role of the statement that some people believe it’s always best to buy local. This statement is an opposing opinion. The author states it in order to disagree with it.
- Nonsense. The author disagrees and says we shouldn’t always buy locally.
- This is really far off. It didn’t happen.
Example of answer: Generally, it’s good to exercise. Therefore, playing squash is a good idea.
- You might have picked this because it said “reject”. It’s true there was disagreement in the argument, but this answer doesn’t match the stimulus. The author didn’t use the statement to reject anything. Instead, they rejected the statement!
- CORRECT. Indeed. The statement is “always buy local”. The conclusion is “sometimes, it’s better not to buy local”.
- Nonsense. The conclusion of the argument rejects the statement in question.
Need help with LR? → Sign up hereTry the LSAT Hacks Course
Graeme teaches how to break down arguments, quickly