QUESTION TEXT: Which one of the following most accurately…
DISCUSSION: This is a very long question. I actually froze and skipped it while writing explanations. I did question 21, then came back to this one. That’s a valid tactic; temporary delay can let you get over the fight or flight instinct.
Once I left the question, I affirmed to myself that though a question may be long, that doesn’t make it hard. Indeed, three answers could be eliminated quickly because they contradicted the passage.
The hard choice is between B and D. However, the author’s tone in the passage was fairly positive towards Steele. The author doesn’t view Steele’s claims as proved or even probable, but they don’t criticize Steele’s attempt to create a theory.
Answer B captures this uncertainty, whereas answer D is unduly negative towards Steele.
- Lines 56-58 contradict this. Many scientists disagree with Steele.
- CORRECT. This is the best answer. It leaves out that many scientists disagree with Steele. However, the answer is appropriately cautious. Some key phrases: “devised an account, of a mechanism, could be passed on, claim to have found evidence”. These points of doubt adequately cover the opposing view.
- This contradicts the passage. Lines 56-58 show that many scientists doubt Stele is correct.
- This is far too negative. The passage takes a fair view of Steele. They’re open to the possibility that Steele is correct (See lines 46-55). The author is of course aware that Steele’s theory probably isn’t true (see lines 56-58), but this answer is entirely negative about Steele, which wasn’t the author’s position.
- This wasn’t the main obstacle. Lines 31-34 show that reverse transcription of RNA to DNA is common. The more troublesome question is whether the reverse transcripted mutations can be passed on to reproductive cells.
Need help with RC? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Solve hard passages quickly