QUESTION TEXT: Photographs show an area of Europa, a…
QUESTION TYPE: Role in Argument
CONCLUSION: We have evidence there may be life on Europa.
REASONING: Photographs of Jupiter’s moon Europa seem to show bends in the ice. This suggests there may be a warm ocean underneath Europa’s surface. Warm seas are thought to promote the development of life, so there may be life on Europa.
ANALYSIS: I’ve highlighted the sentence the question asks about. It’s an intermediate conclusion. The possible presence of an ocean on Europa supports the main conclusion that there may be life on Europa. In turn, the statement that there may be an ocean on Europa is supported by the photographs.
- CORRECT. See the analysis above.
- The conclusion is that there may be life on Europa.
- There’s no disputed theory. The author is only presenting evidence for their own theory.
- This isn’t true. The author gives two other pieces of evidence:
* The photograph that seems to show buckled ice
* The scientists’ evidence about what leads to life
- No. The presence of a warm sea supports the main conclusion: there may be life on earth.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions