QUESTION TEXT: Some scientists believe that small humanoid skeletons…
QUESTION TYPE: Identify the Conclusion
CONCLUSION: It is more likely that the small skeletons on Indonesia are from a distinct human species. [and did not suffer a growth disorder]
REASONING: We found some small skeletons on an Indonesian island. The skeletons don’t fit the patterns of any growth disorder we know about. And some fox and mouse species on the island are smaller than normal.
ANALYSIS: Anytime you see something like “it is more likely”, that’s a sure sign you’ve found the conclusion. It means the author has disagreed with the preceding statement, and introduced their own opinion.
- This is the first sentence. The use of “more likely” shows that the author disagrees with this sentence.
- CORRECT. This is the second sentence. The use of “more likely” indicates this is the conclusion.
- This is evidence supporting the claim that skeletons were humans who evolved smaller.
- This is evidence supporting the claim that something about the island created evolutionary pressure for the humans to evolve smaller.
- This is something supported by the argument, but it’s not the conclusion of the argument. When identifying a conclusion, you have to ask “why is the author telling me this?”. In this case, they’re making a claim about human skeletons.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions