QUESTION TEXT: Linguist: Three of the four subfamilies of…
QUESTION TYPE: Identify the Conclusion
CONCLUSION: Austronesian speakers originated in Taiwan and later moved to other islands.
REASONING: Taiwan is the area where Austronesian was spoken longest, because Austronesian must have begun in one place, and 3/4 of Austronesian languages are in Taiwan.
ANALYSIS: This is almost a trick question. It really seems like the section after “these facts suggest” is the conclusion. But that’s just an intermediate conclusion. The real conclusion begins at “hence”. You have to follow the conclusion indicators through till the end.
- This is evidence supporting the conclusion that Austronesian people began in Taiwan.
- This is true according to the argument, but the conclusion was more specific. The argument didn’t say “Wherever” it said “Taiwan”.
- This is a trap, and shows why you should read all the answers at least briefly. This statement does come after “these facts suggest”, which is a conclusion indicator.
But this is just a subsidiary conclusion. After this statement there is another conclusion indicator, “hence”, which indicates that the final line is the true conclusion.
- Like B, this is true in the argument, but it’s not the conclusion. The argument was aimed at identifying the actual homeland: Taiwan.
- CORRECT. This is the final part of the argument, and it comes after “hence”, so it’s the conclusion.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions