QUESTION TYPE: Principle – Conform
CONCLUSION: Designer interaction is better than survey data.
REASONING: Design interaction can tell you how to change a feature to make it better. Data only tells you why a feature was bad.
ANALYSIS: On principle/justify questions, you simply have to say “the fact they mentioned about design interaction makes design interaction better”
Here, the fact is “design interaction with consumers lets you improve things”. So look for an answer that mentions design interaction with consumers as a benefit.
- CORRECT. Design interaction involves getting consumer input on design changes. So, this answer says design interaction helps make better products.
(Surveys aren’t “consumer input for design modifications”. Instead, surveys merely tell you why consumers didn’t like features. Design interaction bring a consumer and designer together, and has the consumer tell a designer how to change stuff.)
- This tells us what companies tend to do. The argument was about which approach is best. Companies may be doing the wrong thing.
- This tells us what designers want to achieve with their work. The stimulus was about how to help designers actually achieve their goals0.
- This answer says that cars will always be unappealing if consumers aren’t involved. That isn’t supported by the stimulus. Instead, we only have evidence that features sometimes get low ratings.
It’s possible that in some cases, designers are talented enough to make appealing cars without any consumer input. So the stimulus doesn’t support this categorical answer. Answer A is much better, as it merely says that consulting consumers can help.
- Why on earth would internal vs. external matter? The stimulus didn’t distinguish between the two.
Want advanced LR strategies? → Try the LR Mastery Seminar
Graeme shows how 170+ scorers do LR in real time. Satisfaction guaranteed!