DISCUSSION: The author doesn’t like the rift. The use of “fortunately” on line 21 makes this clear.
- The author isn’t confused. Lines 15-17 give a possible explanation for the rift.
- Rubbish. Academics haven’t overlooked the rift. Academics believe poetry and fiction are separate! They even train each type of writer separately (see lines 3-5). (This means academics are aware of and support the rift.)
- The use of “fortunately” on line 21 shows the author thinks the rift is a bad thing.
- Lines 21-24 say that there are now multiple authors breaking down the rift by writing in both genres. So the author is optimistic, not pessimistic.
- The use of “fortunately” on line 21 shows the author disagrees with this. They think the rift is a bad thing. Their approving discussion of Dove’s cross-disciplinary work shows the author believes that the split between poetry and fiction is artificial.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions