QUESTION TEXT: Essayist: Winners of a Nobel prize for…
QUESTION TYPE: Must Be True
- Nobel prize winners are usually professional. They’ve all made big contributions to science.
- Amateur scientists sometimes make big contributions to science. (C some AS)
- Amateur scientists are motivated by love of discovery. (AS ➞ LD)
ANALYSIS: If two facts mention the same term, you can usually combine them.
We know amateur scientists are always motivated by a love of discovery, and some of them have made major contributions.
So some people who have made major contributions were motivated by a love of discovery.
Here’s the same thing as a diagram:
C some AS ➞ LD
Conclusion: C some LD
- We don’t know this. Maybe all the amateurs who made contributions also won a Nobel.
- Who knows? Maybe professional scientists are also motivated by love of discovery. The question didn’t say that only amateur scientists have this motivation.
- CORRECT. This is true. Amateurs have made many contributions, and amateurs are always motivated by the love of discovery.
- We have no idea. We know some professionals win the Nobel and make major contributions. We also know many amateurs make contributions.We don’t know how many are in each group. It’s possible that amateur scientists make more contributions.
- We have no idea if love of discovery and significant contributions are related for professional scientists. The stimulus says nothing about this.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions