QUESTION TEXT: Yuriko: Our city's campaign to persuade parents…
QUESTION TYPE: Method of Reasoning
CONCLUSION: Susan implies that the vaccination campaign wasn’t the cause of the increase in vaccinations.
REASONING: The increase mostly occurred six months before the vaccination campaign started.
Free clinics opened up six months ago. They could explain the increase.
ANALYSIS: Susan makes a good case. The new clinic explains the increase better than the vaccination campaign.
Susan’s method is to propose a new cause that better explains the observed effect (the increase in vaccinations.)
- Susan doesn’t say that vaccinations aren’t important. Susan just believes that Yuriko is mistaken about the effectiveness of the vaccination campaign.
- CORRECT. Susan weakens Yuriko’s claim that the campaign caused the increase in vaccinations. She introduces new evidence.
- Actually, Susan doesn’t think the campaign is effective at all. Susan mentions the six month timeline to show that the major increase occurred before the campaign started.
- Susan probably doesn’t believe this. She acknowledges that there was a 30% increase in vaccinations. There was clearly room for more children to get vaccinated.
- Susan doesn’t talk about vaccination campaigns in general. She restricts her evidence to Yuriko’s particular claim.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions