QUESTION TEXT: The process by which nylon is manufactured…
QUESTION TYPE: Weaken
CONCLUSION: Cotton fiber would be less environmentally damaging than nylon [for making rope and thread].
REASONING: Nylon’s manufacturing process releases a harmful gas (nitrous oxide.) Cotton releases no harmful gases.
ANALYSIS: There are other possible environmental problems besides harmful gases. Showing that cotton is also harmful would have been one way to weaken the argument.
The correct answer choice C takes a different route and tells us that all of the nylon will still be used elsewhere even if cotton is used for rope. So pollution levels will stay the same.
- So? Reducing the amount of nitrous oxide released would be a step in the right direction.
- This strengthens the argument. Even a partial replacement is a good thing.
- CORRECT. This shows that the nylon will just be used for other processes. The damage will still occur.
- This shows that the argument would actually work.
- We don’t really care about the production of cotton fiber. It was just a tool to reduce pollution.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions