QUESTION TEXT: Harrold Foods is attempting to dominate the…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Reasoning
CONCLUSION: “Hero” already dominates the market.
REASONING: 72% of consumers surveyed think that “Hero” already dominates the market. A product only needs to sell to more than 50% of the market to dominate it.
ANALYSIS: This argument confuses people’s opinions with actual sales. It might be that most people think it is dominant even if “Hero” only has a 30% market share.
- This is a different error. An example would be thinking that fireman cause fires when really fires cause firemen to appear.
- This is a different error. An example would be thinking that because you need food to live then therefore anyone who has food will live.
- This is a different error. An example would be if I couldn’t prove that the mailman hadn’t come and you therefore concluded that the mailman had come.
- CORRECT. Just because people think something (market dominance) is true doesn’t mean that it is true. “Hero’s” sales might be very low.
- The stimulus is talking about whether “Hero” currently has market dominance. It didn’t claim that the survey guaranteed that the dominance would last forever.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions