QUESTION TEXT: Helena: Extroversion, or sociability, is not biologically…
QUESTION TYPE: Misinterpretation
CONCLUSION: Jay thinks Helena is wrong. He seems to think that she said that all introverted children adopted by extroverts will become social.
REASONING: Jay points out that some adopted introverts will remain introverts.
ANALYSIS: Helena said that introverts tend to become less introverted if they are adopted by extroverts. She didn’t claim that all introverts will become more social and she didn’t claim that they will become so social that they switch to being extroverts.
Jay interprets her claim as being much more extreme. He thinks she said that all adopted introverts will fully switch and become extroverts.
The right answer must be what Jay misunderstood Helena to have said.
- This is pretty much what Helena actually said. But Jay misunderstood.
- This is close to what Helena said. Jay misunderstood her as saying “all” instead of most.
- Jay definitely didn’t think she said this. This sentence means that introverts don’t become any more social when adopted.
- CORRECT. Jay thought Helena meant that introversion was entirely social and any child adopted by extroverts would become an extrovert.
- This is close to Helena’s actual meaning. Jay instead thought she said that environmental factors are always more important.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions