DISCUSSION: The critics in the second paragraph objected to the use of Western values in the first proposal. They recommended neutrality. They mention that other cultures have different historical backgrounds. (lines 19-21)
- If this were true, then it would be pointless to try to understand another culture. But the critics in the second paragraph do propose studying foreign cultures, neutrally.
- CORRECT. Lines 19-21 support this. The different social circumstances led to different values, and so it’s useless to try to study such societies through the lens of our own values.
- The critics in the second paragraph present their proposal in the third paragraph. They recommend neutrality, and don’t mention having more than one cultural perspective.
- Same as C. The critics present their proposal in the third paragraph. They recommend neutrality, not sharing values.
- Huh? The critics aren’t talking about understand liberalism. They complain that using liberalism makes it hard to understand other cultures.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions