QUESTION TEXT: Cotrell is, at best, able to write…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Reasoning
CONCLUSION: Cortell can’t write superior quality articles.
REASONING: Cortell must have plagiarized any superior quality articles he submitted.
ANALYSIS: This is a circular argument. It argues that Cortell can’t write superior quality articles because Cortell can’t write superior quality articles.
There’s no evidence that Cortell plagiarized.
- The argument didn’t ignore counterevidence. It did mention that Cortell produced superior articles, but explained them away by saying they were plagiarized.
- Actually, the article looks at all articles produced by Cortell and concludes they are either of average quality or plagiarized.
- CORRECT. This is another way of saying circular reasoning.
- Name me one expert mentioned in the stimulus. This answer choice didn’t happen.
- Actually, the stimulus infers limits on ability from a generalized pattern of not producing good work + (alleged) plagiarism.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions