QUESTION TYPE: Principle – Strengthen
CONCLUSION: Everyone should be allowed to choose the people they want to associate with.
REASONING: It is easier to enjoy life if you can have your lifestyle choices accepted by others. It’s easier to get lifestyle choices accepted if you can choose your friends.
ANALYSIS: The argument is in favor of letting people choose their own associates. Among other things, it would make enjoying life easier.
The right answer supports this by showing that any freedom that makes enjoying life easier should be supported.
- It would be possible to allow the freedom to make lifestyle choices but forbid the freedom to choose your associates. It will be a bit more difficult to live an enjoyable life…but you will still have the freedom to make lifestyle choices.
- Who knows? The stimulus just claims that we should have the freedom to associate with those who share our beliefs. But maybe not everyone actually ought to exercise that freedom.
- CORRECT. The freedom to choose your associates will make it easier to enjoy life. Therefore, according to this answer, no one should be denied that freedom.
- The stimulus is not just talking about people who depend on having friends and associates that will accept their personal beliefs. It’s also talking about people who would simply have an easier time enjoying life if they could choose associates who accept their beliefs.
- The stimulus is concluding that we should have the right to choose our associates: period. It shouldn’t matter whether we actually improve our life by doing so.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions