QUESTION TEXT: The hormone testosterone protects brain cells from…
QUESTION TYPE: Complete The Argument
CONCLUSION: The argument will likely finish by saying that testosterone may help prevent Alzheimer's.
REASONING: Testosterone lowers levels of a certain protein linked to Alzheimer's, and testosterone also helps prevent brain injuries. Brain injuries are linked to Alzheimer's.
ANALYSIS: Testosterone helps prevent two likely causes of Alzheimer's. Therefore testosterone probably helps prevent Alzheimer's as well.
- Way too strong. Just because injury can lead to Alzheimer’s doesn’t mean that it will. Otherwise just about everyone would have Alzheimer’s.
- Nonsense. The stimulus clearly said that injuries can also affect the likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s.
- This gets things backwards. We know low testosterone may increase risk of Alzheimer’s, but that doesn’t mean Alzheimer’s will lower testosterone. That’s reversing cause and effect.
- This is silly. It means I could hit you on the head with a hammer, but you’d be fine as long as you didn’t have Alzheimer’s.
- CORRECT. This is well supported. Lower testosterone increases risk of brain injury and increases levels of beta-amyloid. Both are risk factors for Alzheimer’s.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions