QUESTION TEXT: Consumption of sugar affects the level of…
QUESTION TYPE: Paradox
FACTS: Eating sugar raises blood sugar. But people who eat lots of sugar have low blood sugar.
ANALYSIS: Don’t be scared by the scientific language. You’re just trying to solve a paradox. Sugar raises blood sugar, but in large amounts it reduces it. So sugar must have some other effect that reduces blood sugar.
You don’t have to know what metabolized means. You just need to figure out that metabolized and unmetabolized are opposites.
Answer C says insulin metabolizes sugar, reducing the amount of unmetabolized sugar in the blood. And eating sugar raises insulin.
- This doesn’t tell us whether overweight people eat sugar, or why their blood sugar levels are low.
- This tells us about the kinds of food that have sugar, but it doesn’t tell us about their effect.
- CORRECT. Insulin could overcompensate and reduce blood sugar below its normal levels.
- This would increase blood sugar levels.
- This tells us how sugar is metabolized, but not why blood sugar levels are low if you eat a lot of sugar.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions