DISCUSSION: This question stem is very clear: it tells you that the passage literally says the answer. If you can find the right line, you can be 100% certain of your answer. This type of question tests your recall, and how well you can skim to find information.
Keeping up intense practice is only mentioned in the final paragraph, so you just have to look there. Note that the question is not asking what’s necessary for success. The question is asking what’s necessary to keep up practice.
It’s hard to know what to say about the wrong answers except that they’re not mentioned in the passage, or not mentioned as being necessary for practice. The question asks about what’s required for practice, not for being skilled.
- CORRECT. Lines 57-59 say this.
- Emotional support is never mentioned.
- The passage never mentions whether instruction at a particular level helps people practice. You might have picked this because lines 36-39 say that early practice is crucial for the vast majority of performers. But the question asks about what is necessary for practice itself, not for talent.
- The passage never mentions leisure.
- The passage never mentions self-discipline or control.
Need help with RC? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Solve hard passages quickly