QUESTION TEXT: It is inaccurate to say that a…
QUESTION TYPE: Parallel Reasoning
CONCLUSION: It is inaccurate to say that a diet high in refined sugar cannot cause diabetes.
REASONING: Refined sugar can make you overweight and being overweight can predispose you to diabetes.
ANALYSIS: This is a pretty good argument. Sugar causes obesity which causes (predisposes) diabetes.
The structure is that one thing can cause another because it causes a third thing. 1st causes 2nd and 2nd causes third. Therefore 1st can help cause third.
- This is a bad argument. Our body is a warm, crowded place whether or not the outside air is cold.
- This is a good argument. There are no direct flights or even a connection. You have to switch airlines in Boston. But this doesn’t talk about one thing causing a third thing.
- This is a bad argument. It does show that over-fertilization can cause lawn disease. It doesn’t show that it is the primary cause.
- CORRECT. This is a good argument and parallel to the stimulus. Inferior motor oil can cause valve deterioration and valve deterioration can cause poor mileage.
- This is a good argument. It clarifies Alexander’s relationship to Plato. But it doesn’t discuss causation.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions