QUESTION TEXT: Hana said she was not going to…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Reasoning
CONCLUSION: At least some of Hana’s brothers must have been among the guests at her party.
REASONING: Hana was given a recording that she had expressed an interest in. Her brothers had planned to give her that recording.
ANALYSIS: This is a bad argument. Since Hana expressed an interest in the recording, maybe other people also planned to give it to her.
- No one changed their mind in the argument.
- The argument didn’t say that the brothers had a reason to be there. The conclusion was just that they were there.
- This is like saying: “What a lovely failure of a kitchen you have.” I’m evaluating the place while pretending to describe it.
- CORRECT. The argument assumes that because the brother planned to give the recording they were therefore the only ones who planned to give the recording.
- This would have been the error if the argument had said “therefore Hana was not interested in any other recordings.”
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions