QUESTION TEXT: The current pattern of human consumption of…
QUESTION TYPE: Necessary Assumption
CONCLUSION: Human consumption patterns will have to change.
REASONING: We rely on non-renewable resources such as metal ore. We’ll either have to stop using those resources or replace them with renewable resources.
ANALYSIS: This argument sounds good. The right answer presents a third option that wrecks the argument: we can constantly shift between non-renewable resources.
- This isn’t necessary, we have another option: “doing without” the resources.
- CORRECT. The argument presents two options: doing without or replacement with renewables. Its assuming this third option is unavailable (replacement with non-renewables)
- Same as A. If a non-renewable resource is exhausted then we still have the option of doing without.
- The author would be fine with consumption increasing in the near future. He’s arguing that things must eventually change, in the long run.
- The argument is arguing that we could do without non-renewable resources.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions