QUESTION TEXT: Juarez thinks that the sales proposal will…
QUESTION TYPE: Parallel Reasoning
CONCLUSION: The proposal will probably be rejected.
REASONING: Juarez says:
Not rewritten ➞ Rejected
- Juarez is very reliable.
- The proposal won’t be rewritten.
ANALYSIS: This is a good argument, with a unique structure. Juarez makes a conditional statement.
The argument says that we can trust Juarez, and it says that the sufficient condition of the conditional statement is true. The conclusion is probabilistic, not certain.
So look for an answer that matches this structure. This is the key to answering long parallel reasoning questions quickly. You can skip over answers that don’t seem to match. I’ll point out the structural differences that let you quickly eliminate answers.
- Here, the science journal (i.e. Juarez) provides a fact, not a conditional statement. Wrong! Next answer, please.
- Same as A. The science journal provides a fact, not a conditional. Also, we don’t have the same probabilistic conclusion. This argument concludes that the medication is definitely safe.
- CORRECT. This mirrors the structure exactly. Science Journal says:Data accurate ➞ Drug SafeTwo facts:
1. Journal usually right.
2. Data accurate.
- Here the journal made two claims. Juarez made one. Wrong! Next answer, please.
- Here the journal states a fact. Juarez stated a conditional. Wrong!
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions