QUESTION TEXT: Professor: The most important function of epic…
QUESTION TYPE: Must Be True
- Epic poetry’s main function is to transmit values.
- Epic poems do this by presenting heroes as role models.
- People get meaning in their lives from imitating these role models.
ANALYSIS: The most important thing on must be true questions is to have a clear idea of the facts. Usually the right answer will combine two or more of them.
- The stimulus was about epic poetry. This answer is about all poetry. Maybe epic poetry is an unimportant part of poetry in general.
- CORRECT. This combines facts 1 and 2.
- Careful. The transmission of values is not done by explicit discussion, but that doesn’t mean values aren’t set forth explicitly. e.g. “The hero was brave, strong and noble”. In my example, I didn’t discuss the hero’s values, but they are set forth explicitly, for you to mimic. Be brave.
- This sounds good, but the problem is “many groups of people”. The stimulus doesn’t say whether many groups of people are exposed to epic poetry any more.
- This confuses sufficient for necessary. Yes, all epic poetry presents heroes as role models. But plenty of other things present heroes as role models too….Disney movies for instance.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions