QUESTION TEXT: Most auto mechanics have extensive experience. Furthermore,…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Parallel Reasoning
CONCLUSION: Most car mechanics know how electronic circuits work.
REASONING: Most experienced mechanics know how electronic circuits work. And most car mechanics are experienced.
ANALYSIS: There are other types of mechanics, besides car mechanics. Maybe the mechanics who understand electronic circuits are those who work on tanks, submarines, airplanes, etc….machines that have electronic circuits.
Abstractly, the flaw is that even if something is true for most people in a group, it doesn’t have to be true for most people in a subset of that group. For example, suppose most pets are dogs. That doesn’t mean that most pets that live in fish tanks are dogs. So look for an answer that talks about most people within a larger group.
- This is a good argument. Traffic ? high gas price ? complaints.
- This is a bad argument. The most common species could account for, say, 10% of the total birds in the area. So even when that species leaves, 90% of the birds stay. But this is not the same flaw as in the stimulus.
- This is not quite a good argument. It hasn’t told us that drivers who want to drive fast do buy sports cars. Maybe drivers who want to go fast only buy trucks. But this is not the “most” flaw from the stimulus.
- Why would nature photographers find it especially boring to take pictures of famous people? They might prefer that to taking pictures of random people in a studio. But this is not the same flaw.
- CORRECT. This repeats the flaw. Why would a snow-removal business hire more people in the summer? Just because most people that run lawn care businesses do, doesn’t mean that most companies within a sub-group (snow-care) also hire in summer. Use common sense; snow-removal companies lose business when the snow goes away. Whereas companies that only do lawn care will hire in the summer.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions