QUESTION TEXT: Every time people get what they want…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Parallel Reasoning
CONCLUSION: People only want pleasure
REASONING: You feel pleasure when you get what you want.
ANALYSIS: One effect of getting what you want is pleasure. There may be others.
Just because something has an effect doesn’t mean that’s the only reason you do something. Any action has multiple effects.
Maybe you go after what you want because you like the feeling of power that comes from getting it. Pleasure is a pleasant side effect, but not the main reason you do things.
I got this question wrong when I took the test. I completely failed to understand the argument, and didn’t review this question properly. You should always review questions you have doubts about, if you have time.
- This is a bad argument, but it’s a different error. The author is probably glad he came, but that doesn’t change the fact that he didn’t want to come originally.
- This is a different error. You might want to do something even if you’re afraid of it.
- CORRECT. A stomach ache is one of the many effects of eating pizza. That doesn’t mean you eat pizza only because you want that particular effect. Eww.
- This is a reasonable argument. Expecting something is not the same thing as being 100% certain of it. I expect, reasonably, that there won’t be nuclear war in 2013. But there could be.
- This is a bad argument, but it’s a different error. If the author really likes basketball, he might enjoy a basketball game even if he doesn’t eat hot dogs.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions