QUESTION TEXT: There should be a greater use of…
QUESTION TYPE: Strengthen – Exception
CONCLUSION: There should be a greater use of gasohol.
REASONING: Gasohol has a higher octane rating and fewer carbon monoxide ratings than gasoline. It adds no more CO2 than plants remove by photosynthesis.
ANALYSIS: On a question like this it’s good to think about things you would like in a fuel. We need to eliminate four wrong answers that show gasohol is better. So it’s a good bet there will be advantages listed such as: cheaper, cleaner, plentiful, efficient, etc.
The right answer actually weakens the argument, even though it didn’t have to.
- This is another advantage for gasohol: it makes cars run better.
- Now society doesn’t have to worry about energy. Thanks, gasohol!
- CORRECT. This shows that gasohol is slightly less fuel efficient. This actually weakens the argument (a tiny bit.)
- Cheap fuels are better than expensive fuels. Advantage: gasohol.
- Gasohol does not add more CO2 than plants can remove. So gasoline upsets the CO2 balance but gasohol doesn’t. One more advantage for gasohol.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions