QUESTION TEXT: Moralist: TV talk shows are contributing to…
QUESTION TYPE: Point at Issue
ARGUMENTS: The moralist concludes that TV shows are causing a decline in morality. Televisions showcases people of low morals.
The people watching will begin to think that the behavior they see on TV is normal and that there is something wrong with being morally upright.
The talk show host concludes that if there is a decline then it isn’t the TV shows’ fault. Television just shows people what they want to see. There’s nothing wrong with letting viewers decide.
ANALYSIS: They disagree on who is to blame for the decline in morals.
- The moralist didn’t say what we should do about the decline in morals.
- The TV show host admits it’s possible that morals have declined.
- This sounds a lot like answer choice D, but it’s different. The host doesn’t say whether he thinks TV shows influence the norm. He just thinks they aren’t causing a decline.
- CORRECT. The moralist thinks TV is to blame. The talk show host isn’t even convinced there is a decline. If there is then it isn’t TV’s fault.
- This sounds tempting but the moralist doesn’t actually say if she favors restricting what viewers can see.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions
Leave a Reply