QUESTION TEXT: Which one of the following can be…
QUESTION TYPE: Must be True
CONCLUSION: The use of nonaddictive drugs by athletes should not be prohibited.
REASONING: Purists claim that drugs should be banned because they are unnatural. But there are many things in sports that are unnatural, such as padded boxing gloves. We don’t ban such things just because they are unnatural.
(Addictive drugs are different, of course. They cause harm and should be banned. )
We should be dealing with more serious problems that cause death and injuries.
ANALYSIS: The only sufficient-necessary conditions deal with things that are unnatural (they shouldn’t be banned) and addictive drugs (they should be banned because they are dangerous).
- CORRECT. If unnaturalness were a reason to ban something then we should ban boxing gloves and running shoes, too.
- Actually we can conclude that non-addictive drugs are unnatural. The author says so himself.
- No. Addictive drugs should be prohibited because they are dangerous.
- This could be true. But maybe athletes no longer use any illegal drugs thanks to the drug ban. (Ha!)
- We only know that the use of non-addictive drugs is likely a less serious problem.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions
Leave a Reply