DISCUSSION: The point of this passage is to describe Kate Chopin’s style and her influences.
All of the wrong answers are not only not the main point; they are false! The passage contradicts every wrong answer.
- This answer is total nonsense. The New Women are in the fourth paragraph. Chopin used the techniques of the local colorists in the third paragraph. And nowhere does Chopin try to recapture the atmosphere of the novels of her youth.
- CORRECT. The best answer: this covers every paragraph. Chopin had three sets of influences. She moved through them to reach the style she used in The Awakening.
- Lines 52-53 say that Chopin “embraced this impressionistic approach” in The Awakening. The book was part of a literary movement, and thus clearly was like other novels.
- The third paragraph talks about how Chopin did use the conventions of the local colorists. This answer choice is totally false.
- Lines 31-32 say that Chopin did use the conventions of the local colorists.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions