QUESTION TEXT: Terrence Gurney suggests that because his books…
QUESTION TYPE: Identify The Conclusion
CONCLUSION: Gurney is wrong to say that he hasn’t received recognition because he is popular.
REASONING: Gurney probably hasn’t received praise because his writing is flat.
ANALYSIS: This may be a good argument, we’d need more information to know if it was true.
In any case, the conclusion is that Gurney is wrong. The reason is that his writing is flat.
- CORRECT. The second sentence is the conclusion. ‘Surely he is mistaken’. The argument backs this up by pointing out that his writing is flat.
- The author didn’t say whether Gurney’s books are literary achievements. They only wanted to explain why Gurney hasn’t received praise.
- This is evidence for the conclusion. It shows an alternate reason why he hasn’t received praise.
- This is Gurney’s argument. The author disagrees, in the second sentence.
- Only Gurney said Gurney ought to receive praise. The author didn’t say whether he should. He just offered an explanation for why he hasn’t.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions