QUESTION TEXT: Numerous studies have demonstrated a pronounced negative…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Reasoning
CONCLUSION: Lack of fiber causes colon cancer, and lots of fiber prevents it.
REASONING: There is an inverse correlation between fiber and colon cancer.
ANALYSIS: The argument has shown a correlation between colon cancer and lack of fiber. Without evidence, they’ve assumed that fiber prevents colon cancer.
There are a million other possible causes. Maybe people who eat fiber eat a healthier diet in general, and that is the cause.
The right answer says that foods high in fiber have other substances that fight cancer
- This doesn’t tell us whether fiber will help prevent colon cancer. It’s just a fact about fiber consumption.
- Other cancer is irrelevant. The conclusion was only about colon cancer.
- This may be true, but it doesn’t tell us whether fiber helps prevent colon cancer.
- The argument hasn’t even proven that fiber fights cancer. It’s pointless to wonder if fiber in different foods has different effects on cancer.
- CORRECT. This shows that other substances prevent cancer. It’s not necessarily the fiber.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions