QUESTION TEXT: Which one of the following most accurately…
DISCUSSION: The author’s point is that, despite concerns, biotech patents won’t harm basic research.
On main point questions, a lot of answers will contradict the passage or not be in it. Truth isn’t sufficient for a main point question, but you can usually eliminate 2-4 answers because they’re false.
- The author disagrees with this position. See paragraph 3.
- This is probably true, but it doesn’t describe the author’s main point. The author was making an argument, aiming to convince us that patents don’t threaten basic research.
- This contradicts the passage. The author likes patents. See paragraph 3.
- CORRECT. This covers everything. Paragraph 1 sets up the controversy. Paragraph 2 gives the scientists’ arguments against patents. Paragraph 3 gives the author’s arguments in support of patents, concluding that concern isn’t warranted.
- This is a fact supporting the author, but it isn’t the main point.
Need help with RC? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Solve hard passages quickly