QUESTION TEXT: The academic researchers mentioned in lines…
DISCUSSION: In lines 30-31, the researchers are worried that patent holders will charge “prohibitively high fees”. Prohibitive means: difficult or impossible to pay.
So the scientists don’t think that it’s right for companies to charge fees that are high enough to discourage basic research.
- Competitive dynamics of the market? These researchers just want to do basic research. They wouldn’t use terms like that.
Also, patents aren’t “the market” – they’re a government-enforced monopoly.
- CORRECT. See the analysis above. The scientists think basic research is important, and they don’t think it’s good if high fees discourage research.
- The researchers are talking about licensing materials made by others. They want to use those materials – this answer is the opposite of their opinion.
- Same as C. The researchers want to use materials patented by others for basic research. Aggressive legal action would block research.
- In lines 30-31, the researchers were talking about licensing fees. This answer has nothing to do with licensing fees – it’s talking about funding.
Need help with RC? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Solve hard passages quickly