QUESTION TEXT: More women than men suffer from Alzheimer's…
QUESTION TYPE: Main Conclusion
CONCLUSION: The theory that more women get Alzheimer’s because they live longer may be wrong.
REASONING: It might instead be due to a lack of estrogen due to menopause. Men end up fine because testosterone gets converted to estrogen and men keep a steady supply of testosterone into old age.
ANALYSIS: The argument’s author hedges his bets. New evidence shows that the old theory may be wrong. We don’t know anything for sure.
- CORRECT. The theory isn’t certain to be wrong but new evidence is compelling.
- This is true, but it isn’t the main point. The argument was trying to explain why we get Alzheimer’s.
- We’re not even sure if this is true. It might be that there has to be some combination of menopause + old age for Alzheimer’s to occur.
- This is true, but it isn’t the main point. This is just information that supports the idea that the old theory may be wrong.
- This isn’t even true. Testosterone wouldn’t be necessary if men could be given estrogen, for example.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions