DISCUSSION: Support the answer using a specific line from the passage.
Remember that the passage praised Invisible Man. So critical answers are likely wrong.
- CORRECT. This is the point of paragraph 3. If jazz can mix cultures, then so can Ellison.
- The paragraph never said whether Invisible Man or jazz were effectively used for political action.
- We are told that Ellison liked and promoted jazz. But jazz might not have needed Ellison’s help, and we’re not told whether Ellison’s promotion had any effect on jazz’s popularity.
- The passage praises Invisible Man. So the book shows the opposite: we can combine African-American and European concepts.
- The passage never mentioned whether Invisible Man was popular. Also note that this is a criticism, while the passage praised the novel. That’s enough to rule out this answer choice.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions