QUESTION TYPE: Method of Reasoning
CONCLUSION: It is wrong to say that rap is individualistic and non-traditional.
REASONING: Rap musicians don’t follow their individual desires; they meet public expectations. And the themes and styles of rap have become a type of tradition.
ANALYSIS: You should first look at the conclusion the student is disagreeing with. The professor’s conclusion has two parts:
- Rap is individual.
- Rap isn’t traditional.
The student offers evidence to disprove each point. The student does not contradict any of the professor’s evidence. Instead, they bring up new facts that add context to the professor’s argument.
- The student didn’t challenge either of the professor’s premises. Instead, they offered us new evidence that directly contradicts the conclusion.
- CORRECT. The additional observations are evidence that provide context, showing the professor’s conclusion to be wrong.
- The professor doesn’t generalize from rap music to all music. I have no idea what this answer is referring to.
- The music student didn’t do this.
Example of answer: Learning rap isn’t formal in the same way an instrument is, but it’s still formal in a different way.
- The student didn’t challenge the professor’s evidence.
Example of answer: It’s not true that rap musicians can work alone. They need sound technicians and backup singers.
Need help with LR? → Sign up hereTry the LSAT Hacks Course
Graeme teaches how to break down arguments, quickly