QUESTION TYPE: Paradox
PARADOX: Bug zappers are great for getting rid of flying insects in an area. But pest control experts generally say we shouldn’t use bug zappers.
ANALYSIS: Normally it wouldn’t be a problem to use bug zappers combined with sprays, even if the bug zappers didn’t work very well. But the pest control experts are implying that bug zappers are actually harmful. So even if you had no other methods of pest control, you still shouldn’t use bug zappers.
That’s unusual. The right answer choice (D) explains how bug zappers can actually make things worse.
B doesn’t work because it doesn’t show there is any harm to using a bug zapper.
- The pest control experts haven’t said if birds are a good or a bad idea. This solution doesn’t explain why a bug zapper wouldn’t also work, and work better.
- This doesn’t explain why we shouldn’t use bug zappers in combination with some other method. The pest control experts seem to indicate that bug zappers are actually harmful.
- Of course. Bug zappers have a different purpose than normal outdoor lights: they use a lot of electricity zapping bugs. This doesn’t explain anything.
- CORRECT. Here we go. Want to kill all the friendly, helpful insects and let the harmful ones take over? Get a bug zapper.
- That’s nice. This (slightly) supports the idea that sprays are a good idea. But it doesn’t tell us why zappers are a bad idea.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions