DISCUSSION: Ethnic consciousness is only mentioned on line 56. Lines 53-56 say that bilingualism and immigration rates affect ethnic consciousness, though we don’t know how.
Any other answer is just nonsense intended to distract you.
- Lines 53-56 say we don’t know how immigration rates affect ethnic consciousness.
- The passage never talks about the number of Mexicans born in the United States. The passage only talks about the proportion (e.g. 45%). Number and proportion are completely different. There’s no support for this answer.
Note: This answer would still have been wrong if it had said proportion. The passage never said whether the proportion born in the USA affects political consciousness. Lines 51-60 mention these terms, but they say we don’t know how they’re related.
- Lines 51-60 say that we don’t know if changes in political leadership reflected changes in the Mexican American population.
- The passage never talks about what influence, if any, Mexican American leaders had over the Mexican American population. This answer has zero support.
- CORRECT. Lines 53-56 say this. Variations in immigration affect ethnic consciousness, though we can’t quite say how.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions