QUESTION TEXT: Which one of the following most accurately…
DISCUSSION: The gist of the passage is that researchers are now discovering that the Negro Units of the Federal Theater Program made large contributions to the African-American theater of the time.
- None of this is in the passage. The “Negro Units” were not studied much until recently (line 8), but that doesn’t mean they were forgotten. And we’re not told how important the African American plays were relative to all American plays.
- This is too broad. There have been many US government programs. Some of them may have had even more importance for African-Americans than the FTP did.
- CORRECT. This more or less summarizes the passage, especially the key sections in lines 7-11 and 52-59.
- This isn’t supported by the passage. Line 8 says the Negro Units were not well studied until recently. So it’s possible the Negro Units are not well known for anything.
- Not quite. The Federal Theater program was much larger than the “Negro Units”. We know the Federal Theater program overall supported theatre during the depression (lines 52-55). But that doesn’t mean the Negro Units were crucial to this support. The author likes the Negro Units, but that doesn’t mean they’d agree the Units were a cornerstone of the FTP’s efforts.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions